Computer Cooling

dstryr420

Anyone have any good ideas to cool my system down a lot? I found my CPU running at 76 degrees this week! If i stay with fans, I want them to be quiet but powerful, anyone know of any?

does anyone have a water cooling system or anything else that works really reliably? I'm running a P4- 3.0ghz HT on a Neo2-P 865PE motherboard...

thanks!

I also have a P4 3.0 ghz HT but I don't have any fancy cooling systems, only the fans and heatsinks that came with my machine. I know it's probably not the best idea when it comes to keeping dust out but I just leave the side panel off of my machine. It allows for amazing ventilation and it runs much more quietly since the fans are at lower speeds. I blow any built up dust out of it every few weeks.

If anyone who is more experienced with PC cooling than I would like to recommend a better solution and admonish my open case strategy, I welcome your comments. :)

You could trying looking at www.newegg.com for custom processor fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835106061 this looks cool.

Anyways you may also want to change some of your cables. Like if your drives are ATA find some round cables instead of those flat ones that keep air from flowing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16812104048 Like this

While it may not make a huge difference (2-3 degrees, moreso when the computer sits more idle), CPU Cooling software has helped my laptop with overheating problems do a better job of staying cool.

HMonitor is prolly the easiest software to use and the most comprehensive, but it's $30. CPUIdle Extreme is a bit easier to find, and does a formidable job as well.

I'd say the hardware answers noted above are by far the best bet, but this may help in the short term, or as an extra step.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There are lots of things that could be causing your PC to run so hot, but sometimes it's just the motherboard sensor that's crazy. If your processor's heatsink is too hot to touch, then your chip is too hot and you should probably get a better heatsink and maybe add some large fans to your case.

Get something like an Arctic Cooling "Freezer 4" as it's inexpensive, very effective and fairly quiet. I'd also recommend (as usual) Vantec Stealth 120mm fans if your case will fit them, or else get the 80mm. One at the bottom front sucking fresh air IN, over your hard drives, and one at the rear pushing hot air OUT. Also make sure to have covers for any empty PCI slots or drive bays. The goal is not to bring more air in, rather you want the existing air to move quicker through your case so the heat doesn't build up.

With that in mind, you should know that a Socket 478 Pentium-4 does tend to run hot, it's the nature of the beast!