Secret of Evermore red dots ad

SynthMilk

Did this 2-page Secret of Evermore ad actually "work" for anybody?

https://www.retromags.com/rmg_fs/gallery_imgs/monthly_2024_03/large.SecretofEvermore(April1995).jpg.92313b816b4eb7a58d544b01102e6d66.jpg

Based on the instructions, I've always assumed it was supposed to have a Magic Eye-type effect; but any instance of it that I've ever come across seems to be missing the uh "magical" layer.

Printing mistake? User error? Help me out here.

• Retromags Curator
25 minutes ago, SynthMilk said:

Did this 2-page Secret of Evermore ad actually "work" for anybody?

https://www.retromags.com/rmg_fs/gallery_imgs/monthly_2024_03/large.SecretofEvermore(April1995).jpg.92313b816b4eb7a58d544b01102e6d66.jpg

Based on the instructions, I've always assumed it was supposed to have a Magic Eye-type effect; but any instance of it that I've ever come across seems to be missing the uh "magical" layer.

Printing mistake? User error? Help me out here.

There never was any magic eye effect (although it was making fun of those type of things). "The Secret of Evermore" was a game that played big into the notion that the player has an NPC dog that follows them around throughout their time traveling adventures. At one point, the dog mutates into a huge, wolf-like brute with red eyes. That's the "joke" of the ad. :)

• Haha 1

I hated that game so much.  I had a really bad habit of always "saving the best for last" when it came to choosing which game to play next, so I'd always pick the ones I expected to be mediocre, never actually getting around to the ones I really wanted to play (inexcusable behavior, I know.)  Thus, my copies of things like Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger remain unplayed to this day, but OH YES, I played Secret of Evermore from start to finish.  If I ever meet St Peter at the pearly gates, he's going to be so confused.  "Seriously, what the HELL were you doing with your life??"  Maybe that's why I don't play games anymore.  Or maybe Secret of Evermore is why LOL.

EDIT: I'm editing this to say...I just looked at my post and realized it makes me sound like a spoiled rich kid who had so many games he never even played half of them, which isn't true at all.  I played everything I owned as a kid, and never got games more than twice a year - birthdays and Christmas.

But once I was in college and had a job...well, me and eBay had a reckoning, and I reckoned I was gonna get ALL the games I wished I'd had as a kid.  Problem was, I WAS WORKING AND IN COLLEGE, so although I finally had some expendable income, I didn't have nearly enough time to play all of the games I could suddenly afford, leading to a surplus of games that never got played.  And like I said earlier, my dysfunction that caused me to choose to play the mediocre games first didn't help matters.

Edited by kitsunebi

• Retromags Curator

There are three stages of life we all pass through:

1. Adolescence: You have the energy and the time, but you do not have the money.
  2. Adulthood: You have the energy and the money, but you do not have the time.
  3. Old age: You have the money and the time, but you do not have the energy.

*huggles*
Areala

• Like 1

This is probably why so many people want to believe in an afterlife where they've got all the time and energy they need and money isn't a concern.  Though I would hope that if life after death DID exist there would be more worthwhile pursuits at hand than finally playing that copy of Grim Fandango you never got around to in life, no matter how amusingly ironic that might be.

• Haha 1

• Retromags Curator
22 hours ago, kitsunebi said:

This is probably why so many people want to believe in an afterlife where they've got all the time and energy they need and money isn't a concern.  Though I would hope that if life after death DID exist there would be more worthwhile pursuits at hand than finally playing that copy of Grim Fandango you never got around to in life, no matter how amusingly ironic that might be.

"Just diffuse the damn bomb, Manny!" :D

On 8/30/2024 at 1:20 PM, Areala said:

There never was any magic eye effect (although it was making fun of those type of things). "The Secret of Evermore" was a game that played big into the notion that the player has an NPC dog that follows them around throughout their time traveling adventures. At one point, the dog mutates into a huge, wolf-like brute with red eyes. That's the "joke" of the ad. :)

So the joke is that stereograms are lame and anyone expecting the ad to actually contain a stereogram is equally lame?

Well, I haven't felt this insulted since Atari questioned my ability to "connect the dot."

• Haha 1

• Retromags Curator
7 hours ago, SynthMilk said:

So the joke is that stereograms are lame and anyone expecting the ad to actually contain a stereogram is equally lame?

Well, I haven't felt this insulted since Atari questioned my ability to "connect the dot."

But @SynthMilk, if you just DO THE MATH you will discover that 64 bits is more bits than 32 bits or 16 bits so can't you just DO THE MATH?! :)

• Haha 1