Need help finding ad

seldan700

Hi, I found the following ad online and I'm trying to find a higher res version to print as a poster. Does anyone recognize it/know which magazine might have it/have that image? I believe it was from 2003.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/0fd091277b2f585d26a60084fdc049a4/tumblr_mxis8x4AwM1snhn1io1_r3_1280.jpg

(I tried to upload it but it was above the max file size). 

Thank you for your time!

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Welcome to Retromags, @seldan700!

The ad you're looking for came from GamePro magazine in 2003. I found the first instance of it in Issue 175, which you can download from the link. It takes up the entire side of page 64, and about 1/4th of page 65, so you would need to do a little digital cut-and-paste to put them together if you wanted the final poster to look exactly like the image you linked. That particular issue was scanned at a resolution of 1661x2200 at 300dpi here, so hopefully that will work well for blowing it up. :)

If you do make it into a poster, be sure to stop back by and show it off for us! :)

*huggles*
Areala ❤️

5 hours ago, Areala said:

That particular issue was scanned at a resolution of 1661x2200 at 300dpi here, so hopefully that will work well for blowing it up.

Not to be pendantic, but any mag with a  height of 2200px is not 300dpi/ppi.  It may have been scanned at 300ppi, but then it was reduced in size to 2200px high, meaning the image had to be resampled at a lower resolution.  All mags are slightly different sizes, but typically a mag is going to be between 3200-3500 px high if scanned at 300ppi and not reduced afterwards.

It depends on what size you want to print at, but if you're talking about getting a professional service to make a giant movie-poster size print for you, 2200px might not give the best results.  Finding a 600ppi image would be best.  We don't host mags that big here, but you can sometimes find them on the Internet Archive.  Not sure if they'd have any with that particular ad, though.  Or when they plan on going back online, for that matter.

For more moderately sized posters, 2200px might be OK, and for printing at A4 size it should be fine.

• Retromags Curator
5 hours ago, kitsunebi said:

Not to be pendantic, but any mag with a  height of 2200px is not 300dpi/ppi.  It may have been scanned at 300ppi, but then it was reduced in size to 2200px high, meaning the image had to be resampled at a lower resolution.  All mags are slightly different sizes, but typically a mag is going to be between 3200-3500 px high if scanned at 300ppi and not reduced afterwards.

Apologies. I was going by the details on the image when I look at its properties in Windows, which said 1661x2200 with horizontal and vertical resolution of 300dpi. :)